Funding may be requested by authors and not-for-profit publishers to subvent expenses related to preparing manuscripts for publication in a recognized scholarly medium, including editing, indexing, design, and reproduction fees. Topics must be related to Kurt Weill, Lotte Lenya, and/or Marc Blitzstein. All publications must have been subject to peer review. Publication Assistance may be awarded to scholars previously funded with a Research and Travel Grant or a Dissertation Fellowship. Applications are reviewed by an independent advisory panel per the KWF’s Evaluation Procedures and Criteria.
The annual application deadline is 1 November for proposals for projects and performances taking place on or after 1 January of the coming year and before 1 July of the year following. For example, the application deadline is 1 November 2023 for proposals for projects and performances taking place on or after 1 January 2024 and before 1 July 2025. (Proposals for retroactive funding of projects or performances will not be accepted.)
An additional application deadline of 1 June is primarily intended for College/University Performance grants for productions taking place in the following academic year.
Applications for support of major professional productions/festivals/exhibitions, etc., may be evaluated on a case-by-case basis without application deadlines.
Applicants are encouraged to contact Brady Sansone, Director of Programs and Business Affairs, (email@example.com) to discuss their proposal prior to submission.
All proposals must include:
- A completed Application Form (in English).
- A detailed description of the project (in English).
- Organizations should provide a mission statement and summary of activities and past achievements. Individual applicants should submit an up-to-date biography or curriculum vitae.
- Proof of not-for-profit standing (for organizations only).
- An itemized budget showing entire project expenses, income, and projected sources of funding. Applicants must notify the Foundation if other grants are awarded.
- Peer reviews must be submitted in support of the application, along with a copy of the manuscript. Normally conference proceedings are ineligible unless the essays have undergone significant revision and editing as components of a book.